As a busy working mom, I know how difficult it is to make a healthy quick recipe for the family at the end of a long day of work, sports, school, and side businesses. With a little planning, you can avoid the drive-through and ensure that your family will have a hot meal that’s easy, delicious, healthy and low-cost. Now that’s a combination you can’t beat!
In some instances, it is hard to ensure that our children are consuming the full amount of vegetables per serving each day. I like to hide veggies in my spaghetti! This recipe slow cooks all day in a crock pot, so the only thing you have to do when you get home is boil some water and cook some pasta. It is super simple and can feed a family of 4-6, no problem. In the recipe below, you can add the carrots, celery, onion, and garlic all to a food processor and blend until it’s a small diced puree. I like to set this recipe up in the crock pot the night before leaving the house, so I don’t need to open cans of tomatoes in my work clothes. This way you can pop right in the crock pot, and GO and come home to a prepared meal. All you have to do is boil some pasta or you can even make sandwiches with the meat sauce. Whatever you prefer, this fuss free meal makes dinner time a breeze!
- 1 lb. of ground beef, chicken, or turkey.
- 2 cans of crushed tomatoes
- 1 small can of tomato paste
- 2 carrots (shredded or in a food processor)
- 1 medium onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 stalk of celery
- 2 tsp of Italian Seasoning
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Add all ingredients to a crock pot and put on low for 5-6 hours.
- Turn off heat (or leave on warm) when you get home.
- Cook any type of pasta, as required per the boxed directions.
- Fresh shredded Parmesan cheese is a wonderful addition when plating.
- Additional side items can include a loaf of Italian bread, or a simple side salad.